category: math, 3-5yr, geometry, shapes, craft
GOAL: Explore shapes, numbers, letters, and patterns by wrapping string or yam around the colorful buttons!
Cardboard (12" x 18", or larger)
Low-heat hot glue gun (with parental supervision)
String, yarn or rubber bands
1. Have your child paint and decorate one side of the cardboard with tempera paints. Allow the paint to dry completely.
2. Ask her to place out the buttons in straight rows across the cardboard.
3. Help her to glue them in place with a hot glue gun.
4. Have her cut different lengths of yarn, or string and tie them in a knot at the end, creating loops of various sizes.
5. Encourage her to explore different shapes on her geoboard by wrapping the looped yarn or string around various buttons. See how many shapes she can create. What about numbers and letters? Also, challenge her to make symmetrical loops.