category: math, 3-5yr, number, craft
GOAL: Hone observation skills and recognition of numbers by playing with used objects!
- Empty egg container (one that held a dozen eggs)
- Small objects good for shaking
- Cute stickers to decorate the egg carton (optional)
1. Write the numerals 1–12 randomly in each section of the egg carton.
2. If you think decorating the egg carton might increase your child's attention span, find some stickers to decorate the egg carton to make it more colorful and fun.
3. Put a small object (we used a button) inside the egg carton that will make a little noise when the lid of the carton is closed and shaken up.
4. Have your child close the lid of the carton and shake, shake, shake it!
5. Then have her open the lid of the egg carton and see where the object has landed.
6. Have your child say the number of the compartment where the object is aloud, write the numeral down and then draw tally marks next to the number that show what the numeral actually represents.
7. Repeat steps 3–5 until the object has landed in each compartment at least once.
Take turns playing the game with your child. Whoever is the first one to get the object to land in each compartment at least once wins!