Craft Stick Harmonica
Category: STEM, 9YR+, 10YR+, 11YR+, Music, Art, Sound
Source: Frugal Fun for Boys
GOAL: Explore sound and pitch using this craft harmonica!
- 2 Jumbo craft sticks
- Wide rubber band
- Two smaller rubber bands
- A straw
1. Cut two pieces of straw that are 1 – 1 .5 inches long.
2. Stretch the thick rubber band around one of the craft sticks.
3. Place one of the straws under the rubber band.
4. Put the other craft stick on top and attach them with one of the small rubber band on the same end as the straw.
5. Stick the other piece of straw at the other end of the harmonica, but this time place it on top of the wide rubber band.
6. Secure the end with the second small rubber band.
TIME: 45 MIN
Explore concepts of pitch as you blow, when the wide rubber band vibrates and makes a sound. To change the pitch, slide the straws closer together or farther apart. When you slide them closer together, the section of rubber band that is vibrating is shorter, so it makes a higher sound.