Category: Coding, Fine motor skills, Craft, Science, 5yr+
Goal: Understand concepts behind the ASCII code through a simple, fun beading craft activity!
- Beads (2 or 3 different colors)
- ASCII Code Reference
1. Write 3 letters that represent your name (in alphabet)
2. Translate these letters into binary using the ASCII code that computers read
3. Assign a color to each number and create a bracelet using this code
4. Refer to Activity 2 on this activity sheet for guidance
The Binary ASCII code is a language that computers read and understand. Computers assign a string of 0s and 1s to different letters, symbols, and instructions, and this is called binary code. Binary (base-2) numbers can only have the digits 0 and 1. The white squares represent 1 and the black squares represent 0.